The DCHE 2012 Nominating Committee is pleased to announce the nominees for the Chair-Elect and Treasurer positions for 2013:
• Valerie Tucci from The College of New Jersey for the three year term of Chair-Elect – 2013; Chair – 2014; and Past Chair – 2015;
• Yan He from Indiana University Kokomo for the Treasurer position for a second two year term, beginning 2013.
The biography of the Chair-Elect nominee, Valerie Tucci, is as follows:
Valerie Tucci is currently the physical science and engineering librarian at The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) and just completed her tenure requirements in Spring 2012.
Valerie attended Mount Mercy College (now Carlow University) and graduated with a BA in chemistry. She received an MLS and an Advanced Certificate in IS from the University of Pittsburgh and completed the course work for a Ph.D. in Library and Information Science while working full-time as an Information Specialist at Koppers Chemical Research Labs.
During Valerie’s long and diverse career, she:
- introduced online searching to the research staff as Library Supervisor at Colgate-Palmolive;
- managed a complex of libraries, online searchers, a corporate research quality program and a corporate research publications program at Air Products and Chemicals in Trexlertown, PA;
- was elected first chairperson for the Industrial Technical Information Managers Group (ITIMG), an ad hoc group of information managers primarily from major chemical companies;
- organized a library for the NEC Research Institute (later, named NEC Laboratories America) in Princeton, NJ. Composed of physical scientists (chemists and physicists) and computer scientists, its mission was modeled after Bell Labs.
Valerie’s scholarly publications include peer-reviewed articles in Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship and Science and Technology Libraries. An article in Against the Grain compared the corporate and academic library worlds from her perspective. In addition, Valerie has made presentations and given posters at ALA/ACRL, ACS and SLA national meetings. She has been a member of ALA/ACRL for 4 years, the American Chemical Society (ACS) for 41 years and SLA for 44 years and believes it is time to “give-back” to SLA.
The candidates presented above will be considered duly elected 15 days following the publication of this announcement, barring any further nominations from the membership within this time period, as approved by the membership at the Chemistry Division’s Annual Business Meeting in Chicago, July 2012.
William Armstrong, 2012 Nominating Committee, Chair; Past Chair, DCHE
Dawn French, 2012 Nominating Committee
Bing Wang, 2012 Nominating Committee, Past Section Chair, MRM Section